Thursday, June 5, 2014

Blog #6 Growing Your PLN

LinkedIn is a special social networking tool, it differs than most of the other website because it is almost formal and more professional than other non-professional websites like Facebook where people add pictures of their trips, pest or themselves and share it with family and other friends.
On LinkedIn, I have chosen to connect with or follow Cisco and Cisco Networking Academy. Cisco is the leading computer networking company. The reason why I chose Cisco and their Cisco Networking Academy over other LinkedIn profiles is that this company’s profile is always up to date; they always update and post something new every few days and people are commenting almost every day. My associate degree was in computer networking, and in order for me to maintain my knowledge, I would have to be close to the ones who know more and can enlighten me with more knowledge.
Twitter on the other hand is different than LinkedIn; it doesn’t have the same amount of information about the person you want to follow and obviously allows only 140 words. Some people or companies uses a link to their website when they need to write something that require more than 140 words, like articles.
On Twitter, I decided to follow Cisco Networking Academy, they have a great Twitter profile with updates every 2 to 6 tweets a day. Their tweets seemed very helpful in terms of news, tips and information. They also provide some useful resources and tell you what you may have been missing, for example, applications and software for their academy alumni.


3 comments:

  1. Very interesting information, I am going to connect with Cisco and Cisco Networking Academy also. I really like using facebook for share pictures of my dogs and resuce dogs that are need of foster homes. I think twitter has some really good aspect for growing your PLN and connecting with companys like Cisco could be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mohammad
    Can you give me an example of a discussion on Cisco, or their link so I could check it out? Following a computer networking academy sounds like a good group to join, since you are interested in computer networking. Being up to date would be important for what your goal is. What other connections did you find that follow Cisco Networking Academy? How many followers do they have? Did you find any connections that they follow? Have you considered following a tweet that id not Cisco connected to get a different view of what is out there? I know I asked a lot of questions, but I seem to be in a contemplative mood today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mohammed, your chosen group looks like amazing and helpful to your career in the future though I don’t have enough knowledge about computer networking but I know how helpful it is to connect with people having the same passion and area of interest. I have never heard about Cisco, but as I have observed, you are very consistent on following it in groups of LinkedIn and twitter as well. You have not mentioned the people or organization that Cisco Networking Academy is following. Also, try to put the reference link of both LinkedIn and twitter pages so anyone will know and also learn from your chosen PLN.

    ReplyDelete