Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Blog #9 Analyzing Your PLN

By looking at my Professional Learning Network (PLN), I can see how beneficial it is. On the second week of this course I followed a page and found someone who posts some very useful tools and tips regarding computer networking. So now I added him to my PLN and I think that it will get bigger and I can benefit more from it and support my professional goals.
The topics in my PLN are mostly computer networking or technology related topics. For example, configuring a Wireless Router, Unix and Linux commands and network security.
For now, I have seven companies in my PLN, most of them are specialized in computer networking but all discuss and deal with other technologies. The companies I have in my PLN are Juniper, Cisco, VMware, NetGear, HTC, Google and D-Link.
Basically, Cisco, Juniper, D-link and NetGear are all specialized in computer networking technology. While VMware are focusing in the virtual computing, and HTC for the Mobile world and finally Google that it related to all technologies especially the web technologies.
I have 24 people in my PLN and they are mostly my classmates, but I also have some other people and other pages that I think are important to have them in my PLN. For instance, SecMash (@SecMash) is a great page for getting new news about computer security. Matt Wilson (@mattwilson9090) puts some great articles about the technology nowadays, and Cristian Romero (@romeroc24) who is a blogger and also has a great collection of very useful networking and technology related YouTube videos.
Cisco Networking academy and Khan Academy are two organizations that I highly recommend for any student. Cisco Networking academy is just focused on computer and networking, however, Khan Academy is all about everything in the education world.

I think that I do need more people, organizations and companies in my PLN. The reason is no matter how professional the people or the companies are, they might be somewhat biased toward certain technologies or have not had an experience with other similar technologies, therefore, I might get misguided if I only look at things through someone else’s opinion.

5 comments:

  1. I can relate to your example of using your PLN to network with people who work with the technology you work with in your profession. I too work in Security and have been exposed to Linux technologies. It’s been a new area for me so I would benefit from adding these types of individuals to my PLN. Would you mind sharing the individual who shares good information regarding computer networking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the way you applied what you learned and looked for more things to read and think about because this way you are not just learning from on direction and one source, but different sources. This is - in my point - the best way to learn more and fast and to get more information at once. I would love to know more about computer security, could you share some links for beginners to learn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it advantageous to include the companies and people you have in your PLN. You are focused on computer networking and those choices will help you obtain information to advance in your studies and your career. I found it interesting that you would include the Khan Academy because it is centered more on education than technology. Do you find that they have useful information regarding the use of technology for education?

    ReplyDelete

  4. Having the opportunity to use these tools to connect with other people will help us increase our knowledge. When choosing a company that interests you, it opens more doors to connect with others who share the same ideas. I think is great that you will benefit from these companies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comment about bias is very true - even with organizations and businesses. One of the reasons for expanding your PLN is to include different perspectives. And at the same time, when you do want something specialized, you have "someone" to go to.

    ReplyDelete